Underage Possession of Alcohol – What’s the Big Deal?
With schools back in session we have seen an increase in underage possession of alcohol cases being filed with the courts. The Law in North Carolina is Clear, you must be 21 years old to purchase, possess or consume alcohol. The Attorneys at Randall & Stump, PLLC wanted to let you know what the penalties are for various underage drinking offenses.
In North Carolina, underage possession or consumption of alcohol is a class 2 misdemeanor and you could face up to 60 days in jail. Underage purchasing of alcohol is a class 1 misdemeanor and you could face up to 120 days in jail, further can also face having your driving privilege revoked. If you have been charged with Underage possession of alcohol, consumption or purchase, give us a call for a free consultation.
Using a Fake ID to get into a club or bar can also get you in trouble.It is unlawful for any person to enter or attempt to enter a place where alcoholic beverages are sold or consumed, or to obtain or attempt to obtain alcoholic beverages, or to obtain or attempt to obtain permission to purchase alcoholic beverage Using a fake ID.
Under North Carolina Law a fake ID is:
(1) A fraudulent or altered drivers license.
(2) A fraudulent or altered identification document other than a drivers license.
(3) A drivers license issued to another person.
(4) An identification document other than a drivers license issued to another person.
(5) Any other form or means of identification that indicates or symbolizes that the person is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing alcoholic beverages
If you are convicted of using a Fake ID, The North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will revoke your driving privileges.
The attorneys at Randall & Stump, PPLC can help. If you have been charged with underage possession, purchase or consumption of alcohol or If you have been charged with having a Fake ID give us a call today.