When you call us and tell us “I was hit by a car while crossing the street,” our immediate concern is for your health and safety. Our next step will be to listen to your story about what happened and the possible cause of your accident. If it appears the driver of the vehicle was negligent and caused the crash, then we will recommend beginning an in-depth investigation to gather evidence and analyze liability. The evidence gathered will support your fight for compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
We also handle fatal pedestrian accidents. Many vehicle-pedestrian collisions lead to immediate death or catastrophic injuries. If you lost a parent, spouse, or child after they were struck by a car, do not hesitate to call a Charlotte pedestrian accident attorney from Randall & Stump, Criminal Defense Attorneys.
To schedule a free consultation of your case with our accident lawyers in Charlotte, NC, contact us today at (980) 237-4579, or reach out via our online form.
Common Pedestrian Accidents
Our pedestrian accident lawyers handle many vehicle-pedestrian accidents each year. We have represented pedestrians by a car in a crosswalk, on a sidewalk, in a parking lot, at the end of the driveways, and off the road entirely. We have also worked on cases involving pedestrians getting hit by motorcycles, commercial trucks, bicycles, ATVs, and other types of vehicles.
Some of the most common types of pedestrian accidents we have seen include:
- Intersection accidents
- Crosswalk accidents
- Side of the road accidents
- Driveway accidents
- Construction zone accidents
- Back over accidents
- Children at Play accidents
- Off-road accidents
- School zone accidents
- School bus crossing accidents
If you were involved in any type of pedestrian accident in Charlotte, NC, do not hesitate to call us. We know how frightening this situation is. No one imagines they will ever be hit by a car when crossing the street or going outside to get the mail. We are here to help you hold the at-fault driver responsible and to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The Charlotte pedestrian accident attorneys at Randall & Stump, Criminal Defense Attorneys have handled claims that arose because of:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired drivers
- Drowsy motorists
- Drivers texting while driving
- Vehicles failing to yield to the right-of-way
- Vehicle failing to adhere to a traffic device or signal
- Drivers failing to keep a lookout
- Speeding vehicles
- Vehicles making a left or right turn into a pedestrian
Through our independent investigation, we will determine what caused the accident. In many cases, driver negligence is to blame. No matter the situation, we will gather as much evidence as possible of the driver’s careless or reckless conduct to prove your right to compensation.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Getting hit by a car can cause mild, moderate, and even severe injuries. Common harm incurred in pedestrian accidents includes:
- Broken or crushed bones
- Crush injuries
- Muscle, ligament, and tendon damage
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
What to Do When a Pedestrian is Hit By a Car
If you were crossing the street, jogging on the sidewalk, walking through a parking lot, or engaged in any other type of normal activity, and were suddenly hit by a moving vehicle, you should:
- Check for injuries – Look yourself and your companions over for injuries, if you can. If you believe you are hurt, do not move. Encourage anyone else who appears to be injured to stay still. Only move and go through the next steps if you feel you can do so safely.
- Call 911 – After a pedestrian accident, emergency responders need to be notified right away. This ensures emergency medical personnel and the police arrive as quickly as possible to provide aid and begin an initial investigation into the crash. The police will gather information regarding what happened and who was involved in order to file a crash report, which you and your Charlotte pedestrian accident attorney will need for an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Obtain medical care – If you are hurt, do not hesitate to go to the hospital. If you were not badly injured, you can deny an ambulance ride. However, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. You may have injuries you cannot see or feel right away.
- Gather the driver’s information – If you can do so safely, get the vehicle driver’s name, contact information, and insurance policy information. If you do not get this at the scene because you are hurt, your lawyer can obtain it from the crash report.
- Ask for witnesses’ accounts – If one or more witnesses saw what happened and stayed to help, ask for their names and contact information. Your attorney may ask for their statements.
- Take photos and video – If you can, our attorneys recommend taking photos or video of the accident with your phone. Take as many photos as you can of the damage to the vehicle, the damage to the surrounding property, and your injuries.
- Call a pedestrian accident lawyer – If you were a pedestrian hit by a car, compensation might be possible. If your loved one was killed in a pedestrian accident, your family may be entitled to a settlement. By calling an experienced attorney, you have someone to explain your rights and options, and when possible, guide you through the process of seeking compensation.
What are My Rights After Getting Hit by a Car While Crossing the Street?
This is a common question we receive at Randall & Stump, Criminal Defense Attorneys. Many pedestrian accidents are the fault of a negligent driver. However, there are cases in which a pedestrian acts carelessly as well. This is common in situations when an individual is crossing the street and fails to look for oncoming traffic.
We will carefully investigate the accident and determine when and where you crossed the street to answer several questions, including:
- Were you in a marked or unmarked crosswalk?
- Were you at an intersection?
- Were there traffic control signals at that intersection or crosswalk?
- Did you walk when there was a “no walk” sign?
- Were you jaywalking in the middle of a block?
We are not looking for answers to blame you for the accident. We simply must know all of the facts to properly evaluate your potential claim for compensation. If there is any evidence you were walking when or where you should not have been, the other driver will deny fault, and your claim for compensation may be stalled.
Under North Carolina’s contributory negligence law, you typically cannot recover compensation if you were at all negligent for your accident. However, there are exceptions a Charlotte pedestrian accident attorney may use in your case. These include if the driver had a last clear chance to avoid the accident, or if they with a conscious disregard for your safety.
North Carolina’s contributory negligence rule often can lead to harsh outcomes for pedestrians hurt in accidents. Many drivers will try to blame pedestrians for the accident. This is why it is vital to call a pedestrian accident lawyer after a crash in which you suffered injuries or lost a loved one.
Negotiating a Settlement When a Pedestrian is Hit by a Car
If you were struck by a car and suffered serious injuries, then you need to consider pursuing compensation. Our pedestrian accident lawyers will gather as much evidence as possible regarding the at-fault driver’s guilt. We will use this evidence to demand fair compensation for your:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
Oftentimes, our Charlotte pedestrian accident attorneys are able to help you obtain a settlement from an insurance company. A settlement would involve negotiation with the insurance company and their team of lawyers. They often try to convince you that your claim is not worth as much as you deserve. By working with an attorney, you will have someone on your side to protect your rights. If the insurance company refuses a reasonable settlement, we can help you take your case to trial.
If you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, you may have the right to seek compensation under a wrongful death claim. In this case, we will fight for you to receive compensation for any medical expenses you were responsible for, burial and funeral expenses, loss of financial support, loss of companionship and guidance, and your emotional distress.