Ryan D. Stump represents clients in criminal defense matters in both federal and state court systems across North Carolina. Although Ryan is primarily a criminal defense attorney, Ryan has a heavy interest in the field of drunk driving. In fact, he is a member of the National College for DUI Defense, and the American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
A North Carolina native, Mr. Stump received his B.A., graduating cum laude, from Campbell University and his J.D. from Campbell University’s Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law.
While the majority of his experience is from the defense table, Mr. Stump also worked with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina. During his time with the U.S. Attorney’s office, Mr. Stump worked with the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (“OCDEFT”), where he focused on aiding the investigation and prosecution of federal drug and organized crime matters. The time spent with the U.S. Attorney’s Office provided Mr. Stump with the knowledge of how the Government prepares and prosecutes its cases from the initial detention hearing, all the way through trial and sentencing. This inside knowledge and understanding helps Ryan when defending his clients against charges involving drug trafficking, drug possession, drug manufacturing, and other serious crimes.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Stump took a position with First National Bank. At First National Bank, Mr. Stump served as both corporate counsel and as the estate planning attorney for the bank’s high net worth client. The experience as corporate counsel has provided Mr. Stump with the understanding of the inner workings of banks and financial institutions, which in many cases has benefited his clients in the defense of financial crimes, commonly referred to as “white collar crimes”.
Realizing his true passion, Mr. Stump then returned to criminal defense litigation to ensure his clients are zealously advocated for, throughout the criminal justice court system. As a founder and managing partner of Randall & Stump, PLLC, Mr. Stump’s goal is to provide unparalleled representation to his clients while treating his clients like the people they are, not a file number. “Too often some attorneys lose sight of why they got into the legal profession, which was to help people who don’t have the ‘know-how’ or ‘where-with-all’ to help themselves. There is no greater honor than someone trusting you and confidently placing their future in your hands during what is likely the scariest and most stressful time of their life,” Mr. Stump said. At Randall & Stump, PLLC the goal is to always be that trusted ally for its clients, no matter how tough the battle may be.
During his career, Mr. Stump has successfully defended his clients in cases ranging from minor traffic infractions to offenses carrying sentences of life in prison without parole. Mr. Stump has continued his legal education by attending both state and national DWI education seminars, the White Collar Criminal Defense College at Stetson University and the National Criminal Defense College’s Trial Practice Institute in Macon, Georgia. In 2014, Mr. Stump was nominated and awarded as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer and Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association.
In September 2015, Attorney Stump attended and graduated from the Trial Lawyers College in Dubois, Wyoming, which was founded by prominent trial lawyer Gerry Spence. The Trial Lawyers College is the only one of its kind in the United States. Only 100 lawyers from across the United States are accepted per year and undergo an intensive three-week course to improve their trial skills. The improvement of these skills results in a better advocate both in and out of the courtroom for Attorney Stump’s clients.
Mr. Stump represents clients in criminal State and Federal court cases including:
- Misdemeanor and Felony Drug Charges
- White Collar Crimes
- Sex Offenses
- Violent Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Weapons Crimes
- DWI Charges
- Driving While License Revoked
- Traffic Violations
Mr. Stump is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, the Mecklenburg Bar Association, the National Trial Lawyers Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- Campbell University, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- B.A. cum laude
- Trial Lawyers College in Dubois, Wyoming – 2015
- State and national DWI education seminar, White Collar Criminal Defense College at Stetson University
- State and national DWI education seminar, National Criminal Defense College’s Trial Practice Institute in Macon, Georgia
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer, 2014
- Top 40 Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Avvo Client’s Choice Award, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Mecklenburg Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- The National Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- National College for DUI Defense , Member
Past Employment Positions
- Roberts Law Group, PLLC, Associate Attorney
- First National Bank, Corporate Counsel and Estate Planning Attorney
- United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Clerk
- Roberts Law Group, PLLC, Clerk
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity