Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries
While any injury to you or a loved one is serious, catastrophic injuries are those that we consider to have a significant impact on your life for years to come. It’s understandable for anyone to feel completely overwhelmed after they or a family member sustained a catastrophic injury. Your life may be permanently altered, or you may have a loved one fighting to survive. While many of these scenarios involve head or neck damage that can leave someone partially or fully paralyzed, there are numerous injuries that can have a catastrophic impact.
The injury lawyers at Randall & Stump, PLLC, know that the legal process following a catastrophic injury is very complex and often strongly contested by the many lawyers and insurance companies involved. Our compassionate team is well aware that you need help as soon as possible, and you may need financial assistance for years to come.
Of the many catastrophic injuries that we’ve helped our clients with, many involve:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
- Child or adolescent injuries
- Dog bites
- Crushed limbs
- Eye injuries
- Organ damage
There Are Many Causes Of Catastrophic Injuries
Every injury is different and getting the medical and legal help you need after a catastrophic injury requires finding out exactly what happened in your accident. Many cases involve victims who have been totally caught off guard and don’t really know what caused their injury. However, even if you do have a very good idea of how you were hurt, your lawyer will have to illustrate a very clear explanation of what happened and who was responsible, if you are to obtain the damages you need.
Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Workplace accidents – Injuries are common in many types of work, and we see many industrial, agricultural, and construction injuries involving heavy machinery or dangerous substances.
- Auto accidents – Car and motorcycle wrecks injure thousands of people every year in our state, and many of these injuries are devastating or even fatal.
- Trucking accidents – Because of their immense size, semi-truck and other commercial vehicles can cause serious injuries when they are involved in accidents.
- Medical malpractice – We trust medical professionals to practice with the utmost professionalism, but there are still many needless injuries from surgeries, powerful drugs, and even routine care.
- Recreational accidents – Weather you are playing sports or using powerful recreational vehicles, there are many possible recreational injuries that include broken bones, torn ligaments, and nervous system damage.
Recovering Compensation From A Negligent Party
Many catastrophic injuries happen because someone was engaging in careless and dangerous behavior. If you or a loved one have been hurt due to the negligent actions of another, you can seek financial damages to help your family. Many times people feel hesitant to sue someone after being hurt, but a severe injury can affect you for life, and your medical and living costs can get out of control. To secure compensation, your attorney will have to show that the other person or company was negligent, and that their negligence can be directly tied to the accident that caused your injuries.
Legal claims for serious injuries can be aggressively fought by the defendants. They often include one or several large insurance companies who are working very hard to limit their costs. However, you will need a lot of financial help after a life-altering accident, and for this reason, your catastrophic injury attorney must understand how to successfully negotiate with insurance companies and succeed at trial if necessary.
The catastrophic injury attorneys at Randall & Stump, PLLC, have helped victims recover compensation for:
- Past and current medical needs
- Future medical and therapy requirements
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Training for new professional skills
- Emotional distress
- Modifications needed for home, vehicle, and workplace
- Wrongful death
- Loss of consortium
Do Not Delay In Seeking Legal Help After An Injury
After a devastating accident, your focus should be on getting better physically, and returning normalcy to your life in any way you can. However, it’s very important that you contact your attorney as soon as possible. A catastrophic accident attorney can review your case and let you know your options for seeking compensation.
North Carolina’s statute of limitations gives you only three years to file a lawsuit for damages. This may seem like a long time, but your legal counsel will have to investigate your medical records, police reports, and all other relevant evidence to make a strong case. Waiting too long can make it very difficult to get an adequate settlement offer or prepare for court. For this reason, it’s very important that you call your attorney without delay after a terrible accident.
Statistics indicate that value of your case will decrease the longer you take to seek legal assistance and file a claim. Often, insurance companies consider claims to be more serious if they are immediately filed and addressed by a professional legal advisor. Sadly, they may dismiss a claim made by an individual or try to offer a low-ball settlement offer. It’s important to seek legal assistance from a catastrophic injury lawyer right away so you have the best chance of obtaining adequate compensation.